Monday, March 11, 2013

March 9th


My alarm clock could not have been more perfect for today. ELO familiar to anyone?


That is what I wake up to everyday and it does in fact wake me up. I stumbled (rather hopped) to my fridge before even turning the song off only to grab a large swig of orange juice. After draining a pint of it I began my day. Bon Jovi was playing while I organized myself in the early hour of eight o'clock. For someone who often wakes up at noon or later this was a slight struggle. I made out fine and had everything that I needed with me when I left for the train station. Sept my camera, doh!

The weather was looking pretty good in Le Havre (fluffy clouds with sunlight) but the sky had turned grey by the time I arrived in Rouen. Guess someone (damn you Freyr) wanted to give Jonathan and me a scare because the rest of the day was bountiful with sunlight. Glad I wore some sunscreen!

I was happy to see Jonathan again. It's amazing but we've known each other since September and have become very good friends. I'm happy that I'll have friends in Europe when I leave because that gives reason for me to visit them and for them to visit me in the States. A message to my European friends, if you visit me in the States I will try to ensure that you gain at least five pounds.

After a quick French styled greeting we set off into Rouen. And damn, that city has more in it than I remember. First major stop was the Clock Tower or Gros Horloge in French. This was the monument (besides the Joan of Arc church) that I remembered the most from my high school trip. It is a beautiful clock face that tells the time, the day of the week via Greek gods, and the lunar phases. The moon is almost full though I accidently labeled the phase incorrectly. Sorry professor Lang, I really did enjoy your introduction to astronomy course though, swear it!

Anyhow apparently they have tours of the Clock Tower which weren't available at the time but would be later in the day. Before we left, both Jonathan and I commented on how many carvings of sheep there were under the Clock Tower arch. It turns out to be both the fertility symbol and religious symbol of Rouen and it is everywhere. It's even perched upon the hour hand of the clock. Talk about dedication.

We then attempted to make our way to the Notre Dame cathedral in Rouen but side tracked slightly, only slightly. We ended up by the river and the sun had decided to show its face in the sky. Being the Chicagoan that I am I removed my coat. Whenever the weather is over 50 degrees Fahrenheit (10 degrees Celsius, 283.15 Kelvin) before June we are without coats and sporting shorts. I did slightly betray that due to the fact that I was wearing jeans but my shirt was styled with slit-shoulders which was shocking enough to the French. Before leaving the river I dropped a penny over the side. I wanted to see how far down it actually was from the bridge. Too far to dive for me, I was never on the team.

Eventually from the help of Jonathan's guidebook we did find the correct cathedral. If you like churches then boy will you love Rouen, it is full of em! They all are beautiful in their own right and chilling inside. I loved that part. When we entered the cathedral the air was so cool that you could see your own breath in it. My basement back home is like that in the winter which is why I'm often slouched on my couch with a bag of Doritos playing Elder Scrolls in December. I'm always amazed at how massive these buildings are. They all were handmade stone by stone over decades and have stood for hundreds of years. Simply fascinating.

Following the cathedral was lunch time. Orange juice had been my breakfast (damn train station's bakery was closed) and needless to say MareBear was one hungry American. Jonathan and I stopped at a restaurant by the Jean d'Arc church that had been recommended by the guidebook. Since I love to brag about traveling to my father I thought I'd also have a meal that he loved before taking up veganism. My lunch consisted of scallops in an olive oil sauce with a side of vegetables. While I ate the delicious little pucks I just envisioned my father shaking his head at me. Jonathan and I also split a bottle of wine because he's fancy that way and I enjoy drinks. Rouen is the perfect town to just sit and watch the world go by. In the sun it's amazing to see all the people walking to and fro almost none of them rushing. There are a few drunks in Rouen who openly carry giant bottles with them but they keep clear for the most part.

Although lunch was delicious it didn't fill though that’s not the end of the world. I was slightly dizzy from the wine but as we college students say, "it’s five o'clock somewhere." Once the bill paid by Jonathan (something I accepted with gritted teeth) we moved on to the Church of Joan of Arch. It looks like a dragon but is supposed to represent flames specifically the fire that burned her to death. The inside of the church is an open chapel with impressive acoustics. One of their choirs was practicing and I compared them to the singers of Skyrim. I have never see a more terrified look on Jonathan's face than me referencing Skyrim for a musical style. Needless to say I was pleased with myself. In fact churches often have similarities to mythical worlds. For instance since none of the statues have pupils carved into the eyes they have the appearance of white walkers from beyond the wall in Game of Thrones. Sort of adds to the menacing feel of the Catholic Church. Bit glad I'm Methodist.

Intermission time. Jeez this blog post is long just like the Kaiserslautern Saga. Let's all just take a short break now. I'm going to go grab a little snack. Come now let's eat some together audience!


Wasn't that fun? Alright I am going along with a stereotype of Americans eating anything with ketchup on it. However it is tasty combination just like fries and a shake or bacon and peanut butter. Moving back to Rouen. Intermission over.

Sometime later or before the dragon church, I have trouble remember chronological orders, we walked around an open market. Apparently they had a decent variety of apples which meant I had to see for myself. Sadly there weren't any Fuji (June will be here soon MareBear) but they did have pink ladies. I nabbed two of them and ate one immediately. It was one of the best pink ladies I've ever had in my two decade life. The skin peeled easily and the flesh had the perfect texture. I was pretty damn happy to have bought the apple. Jonathan did bug me about wiping my face clean of the apple juice but it is similar to eating ribs; what is the point? I'm going to have juice on my face each time I take a bite. I scowled and used my sleeve but that was the only time until I threw the core out. He really needs to go to a Texas steak house or Rib Fest.

It was time for a tour of the Clock Tower. I was really enthusiastic about seeing the inner workings of the clock. Seeing how a machine works especially with cogs and levers is something I've been interested in since I can remember. Why am I in liberal arts again? Anyhow the tour was an audio tour that used a cross between walkie-talkies and remote controls. Better than the headphones that they often give you. Jonathan and I decided to be "those" students and take the French tour. I'm amazed that I actually understood the tour very well. Of course I was thrown occasionally by a word or two but for the most part I followed along.

One of my favorite parts about towers is that they often have spiral staircases. This one reminded me of the "endless" stairways that go to the roof of Notre Dame de Paris. It always feels as though you're an adventurer climbing in order to save some damsel in distress from a dragon. Hmmm I think I'd rather be a thief scaling the stairs in order to rob a princess and fly away on a dragon leaving nothing but flames behind. Yeah that's more fun.

Jonathan wasn't too keen on the stairs due to the risers being different lengths and the endlessness of it all. My ankle winced a few times but otherwise I was just skipping ahead as I often do when driven by curiosity. Plus I wanted to reach the top as soon as I could. Onwards and upwards we went seeing the cogs as well as two giant bells. Too bad we missed the ringing of the hour by ten minutes but such is a reason to go back someday. We reached the top and were met with a stunning view of Rouen. I honestly could've stayed up there for hours but time was limited and there was more of Rouen to see.

After the Clock Tower we headed over to another stunning church set in gothic style. I believe it was Eglise Saint-Maclou, let's hope google search is correct. It like Notre Dame de Rouen was wonderfully cold inside and made of massive walls. Part of me wishes I could've been there for the construction but we all know I'd probably have caused mischief. “I swear father I wasn't me who spiked the wine honest!" Regardless of what trouble I might have caused back then I did appreciate all the effort put into the church's construction. That and the indoor temperature.

Outside the day was waning and so was our energy. Fortunately there is a lovely park near the town center that has benches. I chose one under some sort of blossoming tree for two reasons; shade from the sun and it had a nice view of a golden mansion. Johnny and I sat there sat for a while mostly watching a father play soccer with his two sons. Seeing that reminded me of my childhood where I spent park days with my family throwing baseballs back and forth plus failed attempts to score a soccer goal. I have improved somewhat on my soccer skills but I have a ways to go. Hopefully my brother can send some pointers my way and my friends will be willing to play a few games with me. That's the way to spend a summer. Seeing those kids threw me back into my memories causing a good chunk of time to pass. Once my sense of reality kicked on Jonathan and I left to grab a few drinks before calling it a day.

What's better than just people watching? People watching with beer of course. Jonathan and I ordered two glasses and enjoyed the dawning evening of Rouen by sharing strange topics of conversation as well as enjoying the company of the locals rushing about.

The beer was decent too; a light brew with a smooth taste. We both ordered a second glass after the first round was drunk but stopped there. We had trains to catch after all. Successfully I convinced Jonathan that I would pay for the drinks. I ended up actually tipping the waiter seeing as he had every table to take care of (France and their fear of too many workers) plus I didn't feel like waiting for change.

Off to the station! Well we did screw that up at first by going the opposite direction but quickly corrected the error. I wasn't worried though my train was far from the last going to Le Havre. When it comes to being stranded I only fear it being in a country where I don't speak the language (Germany) or in a small town in the States (Sterling).

Rouen Droite station isn't massive so our platforms weren't far apart enabling us to say our goodbyes without the mere a wave of the hand. I do find myself adopting the French way (ahem Damnit!) in giving the cheek kiss deal for hello and goodbye. Jonathan surprised me with his goodbye but I should've seen it coming. Needless to say we left on good terms and both boarded our trains without trouble.

I fell asleep as soon as the conductor checked my ticket which fortunately for me was early on during the departure. I woke up in time to see my university campus shrouded in shadows before the train stopped at Gare du Havre. 311 accompanied me home and once behind my desk I did what I always do when I have time to kill; I played video games.

Thank you for bearing with me and reading this entire entry audience. Don't worry tomorrow's will be far shorter, I swear it father honest.

Jonathan's take on the trip for all those interested in his side of the story as well some lovely pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment